Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Migraine Awareness Month - Post # 5: "Do That To Me One More Time"

The fifth prompt for the June blogging challenge is this:
"What comfort measure do you find helps you enough during a Migraine that you go back to it again and again, and how do you use it?"
Apologies to the Captain and Tenille for the title of this blog.

Besides pharmaceuticals,  I have many other weapons in my arsenal to fend off the raging migraine dragon.
My philosophy is to keep it:
  • Dark
  • Quiet
  • Calm
  • Cool

There are three things I always have with me when I travel: An eye mask; ear plugs; and stress reduction and relaxation techniques.  If I am in a place were I have access to an ice pack, I use that, too. 

Dark:   I started using an eye mask about 15 years ago while working with a therapist on biofeedback techniques.  I found it helpful to use the eye mask to help filter out visual distractions.  Then I started using it at home when I practiced my relaxation techniques. Pretty soon, I found that the eye mask was actually a trigger for me to relax.  This took a couple of months.

There are lots of sleeping masks on the market, but I prefer the kind with rice, buckwheat, water or some other filler that will keep my eyelids shut.  I also like a little aroma therapy on the mask, so I sprinkle it with lavender oil.  Mmmm.  It makes me feel more relaxed just thinking about it!

Quiet: I started using ear plugs to help me sleep through my husband's snoring.  I prefer the "Macks" brand foam ear plugs (sold at Target) because they seem to last longer, and fit my ear canal the best of any other brand. One of the problems I have in the prodrome and headache phase of migraine is what I like to call "Super-Spidey hearing."  My hearing rivals that of my dog.  EVERYTHING seems very loud.  One example:  When waiting for my appointment at the neurology clinic, I was sitting next to a man who was quietly reading the newspaper.  When he turned the pages of the newspaper, I just about felt like telling him, "Could you PLEASE quit reading that paper so LOUD???!!!"  Then I realized how ridiculous that was and popped my earplugs in.  Bliss!


Calm: Stress Reduction and Relaxation Techniques have been my mainstay. Biofeedback techniques were taught to me by two different therapists.  Here's what was involved.  I got hooked up to a computer using biofeedback software.  Both therapists put sensors on my forehead. One measured muscle activity in the forehead and hand temperature, and other one measured brain wave activity (EEG).

Dr. Lake's software used visual cues. I had to think about moving an object on the computer monitor to the center of the screen.  I know. It sounds pretty "out there." But I could do it.  He also hooked up a temperature gauge to my finger and had me think about warming my hands.  I got really good at this too.  I could warm my hands 15 degrees just by doing breathing exercises (deep breath in,  out through the nose. Feel the warming sensation of the breath from my nose warm my entire solar plexus with each exhalation.)  There is research that correlates hand warming with decreased migraine pain.  Dr. Lake also gave me a relaxation CD that was VERY helpful. It is available at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/alvinlake. 

Dr. Marshall-Darling  used software with auditory cues. My goal was to make the beeps slow down; when they were beeping rapidly, that meant I was tense.  She could objectively see how relaxed I was by looking at the brain wave activity.  Then I started to use the eye mask during my appointments and BOOM!  I got to my happy place in the blink of an eye.  I am so good at it now that I can get to my happy place nearly instantly, just by closing my eyes. This is especially helpful in the dentist's chair!

I was introduced to self-hypnosis and relaxation techniques while working on a masters degree in health promotion at Central Michigan University. One of the professors did an activity in class that took us through the paces of this technique.  I found it to be an amazing and valuable tool that I can use anywhere.  This technique involves tensing and relaxing body parts, starting at the feet and working upward.  This technique is also among those available on Dr. Lake's CD.


Cool: The last method is the DonJoy Dura Soft ice pack.  Nothing beats cold when the dragon is breathing down my neck. The Dura Soft pack stays cold for hours.

Lots of people get migraines, but they don’t have to rule your life.  Of course, there are many more things to add to the list, but these are my "go-to" methods to help me through a migraine.   Perhaps you can think of more ways to keep yourself dark, quiet, calm and cool.

National Migraine Awareness Month is initiated by the National Headache Foundation. The Blogger's Challenge is initiated by www.FightingHeadacheDisorders.com.





No comments:

Post a Comment