Search This Blog

Monday, June 4, 2012

Migraine Awareness Month - Post # 4: Advice for summer fun

June is Migraine Awareness Month. I am blogging about Migraine each day this month to raise awareness about this neurological disease. 

Today's topic is:  June is busting out all over! 
"Whats the best tip you can offer others for having some summer fun despite Migraines?"

Like many migraineurs, I wrestle at times with feelings of low self-esteem, self confidence, and self-worth.  Sometimes I need to cancel plans at the last minute because of a migraine.  It's frustrating, disappointing, and I feel like I've let my friends and family down because I can be so unreliable. And I used to feel like I shouldn't even make plans if I have to let everyone down and cancel at the last minute. 

My family has a saying: "If you don't have fun it's your own fault." Although that's not ALWAYS easy to do when you are suffering from a chronic illness, my best advice is to aspire to live your life in a way that is satisfying, full, and true to who you are.  Instead of thinking "What if...",  have a positive attitude when you get an invitation to participate in something fun.  If you find you have to cancel, well, at least you gave it a shot. For example, today I played golf with a friend I haven't seen in a while.  I have been fighting the dragon for the past 5 days. I could have easily declined her invitation, but did not.  And we had a great time today.

I have two other tips for summer fun. The first is to discover and be mindful of your triggers.  Two of my triggers are related to refreshing summer beverages - anything with alcohol, and anything with Aspartame. Crystal light is like poison to me, and alcohol makes me sick for 3 days, even just a few sips.  It took me a long time to be able to say, "No thanks, I don't drink." As Popeye would say, "I yam what I yam."  Now, I am everyone's favorite designated driver.

Lastly, dehydration is often a trigger for migraineurs. Make sure to keep yourself hydrated, preferably with water or a decaffeinated beverage.  

I hope you have a wonderful summer full of family, friends, and good times.  And NO dragons.

Hang on to your dreams. Live your life. 

National Migraine Awareness Month was initiated by the National Headache Foundation. The Blogger's Challenge is initiated by www.FightingHeadacheDisorders.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment