Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Migraine Awareness Month - Post # 12: "Let's Do the Monster Mash!"

The topic for day 12 of the Migraine Awareness  Blogging Challenge is:
 "Choose a movie monster that reminds you of your Migraines and tell us why." 
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2552280832/tt2261471

Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker (2012)

This was one of those movies released directly from the editing room to DVD. I chose it because I use a  dragon metaphor to describe my migraines.   The heroine in this movie is a female character who slays the dragon.  She is a warrior, just like me.

Ever since the "Putting our Heads Together"  Poetry Challenge, I've been noodling around with a poem.  Poetry is not my long suit, so please bear with me as I describe how I perceive my battle with the dragon who lives inside my head. 


The Dragon Inside

I do all I can to keep the monster at bay. 
He conceals himself under the surface, 
emerging when I least expect it. 
He is violent, intolerant, unpredictable.
Sometimes,  his evil green eyes appear through the fog of my aura.
The smoke from his nose clouds my vision.
I see the sparks from his breath,
And smell an acrid, pungent odor that only I can detect.

Then the attack begins.
The dragon breathes down my neck.
His tail smashes against my brain again and again and again.
Pounding. Pulsating.
Hot spiny scales poke, stab, and impale my skull from the inside.
I yield to the monster, and am pulled into my private dungeon,
isolated from the world as the dragon tries to destroy
my plans, my relationships, my work, my life.
  
I remember that I, too, am powerful,
and shield myself from his fury.
I lay still, waiting for the invisible monster to quiet,
so I can escape this torment.

I am a dragon slayer.
Hopeful, blessed, strong, courageous.
Relentless.
I vanquish the dragon, emerging bruised and battered, staggering.
Recovering. 
Weakened but not destroyed. 

And ready to do battle another day.












2 comments: