Search This Blog

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Migraine Awareness Month - Post # 3: Worst Trigger

Today's topic is: "Just shoot me now!"
What's your worst Migraine trigger? Can you avoid it? How do you handle it?
My worst migraine trigger is second-hand cigarette smoke. It is my worst trigger because it is something over which I have no control.  

Fortunately, Michigan's Smoke-Free air law went into effect May 1st 2010. Until then, I had to restrict my attendance in many social settings and at activities and events,  or dreaded going to them. For example:
  • My husband's business had a Christmas party at a bowling alley.  I had to leave when the second-hand smoke wafted into the private "no smoking" room at the facility. I got sick on the way home.
  • I took a billiards class through a local community college. It was held at a nearby sports bar. The pool table area was "smoke-free" but across the hall was a poker player's room - with blue air filled with smoke -  and the bar area up the hall was rife with smoke. I had to walk through that area to use the restroom.  I ALWAYS woke up with a migraine the day after class.  I spent fifteen weeks dreading this "fun" class because I knew it would be followed by misery. The LAST day of class was on the first day of the Smoke-Free law.  I celebrated when I did not get a migraine the next day.
  • My son is a musician who tours all over the country. When he plays locally, I always go to his gigs, but my attendance was bitter-sweet before the ban. It was great fun listening to and watching him perform, but I knew that between the smoke, loud music, and lack of sleep,  I would be sick for 3 days afterward. 
Conservative members of the Michigan House and Senate are trying to weaken the Smoke-Free Air law.  It has been such a blessing to me;  I have written lawmakers to let them know how the law has positively impacted my life and that it actually allows me to support local restaurants MORE than before because I know I won't encounter second-hand smoke that will make me sick.  

Despite the law, I am still negatively impacted by cigarette smoke. Just yesterday, I took a semi-private photography class with 3 other women. The class was at the instructor's home. When we were shooting outside, he lit up.  I tried not to make a big deal about it (it was his home after all), but just nonchalantly wandered upwind as much as I could so I wouldn't be exposed to the smoke. Sometimes I am not so lucky, and am in situations where I cannot escape the smoke.  Most times, I tell the smoker in a very kind and apologetic way that the smoke from their cigarette is an instant migraine trigger for me, and could they please put it out.  Most of the time they acquiesce, but there have been times (like outdoor seating at a restaurant) that people get downright belligerent.  One time, my husband got right in a guy's face.  Now we just get up and leave. 

I am a health educator and a nurse, so I think smoking is a stupid thing for people to do, but I am not militant about it. I just don't think people realize that it's more than second hand smoke to me.  It's an avoidable migraine trigger.  So if you are a smoker, please understand that it's not you, it's your nasty habit that makes me sick.

National Migraine Awareness Month is initiated by the National Headache Foundation. The Blogger’s Challenge is initiated by www.FightingHeadacheDisorders.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment