Search This Blog

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Migraine Awareness Month #16: "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."

Today's topic:  "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
"Which role fits you and why?"
In a sentence?  Get outta my flippin' way.

I am a gal who is a fierce advocate for myself and others. I have been a nurse since 1975;  I ran an internal medicine practice for over 12 years. I don't suffer fools gladly. Doctors don't intimidate me, and I know how "the system" works.  I have left practices because they were poorly run. I've written letters to doctors to tell them how they or their staff could improve their practice.  I told my last neurologist that if he couldn't do anything more for me to refer me to another practice.  I told my current neurologist about 3 major mistakes his nurse made on a phone call to me; he was appreciative. Seriously, how else is he going to find out his nurse is incompetent? As an office manager, I always appreciated it when people were candid and let me know if something went wrong. Only then can we make it right. RIGHT?

I am both a nurse AND a teacher. Not only am I bossy, but I am a bossy know-it-all.  I am a pathological "helper." My favorite thing to do is to be the person that others go to for help and advice.  I consider myself a "maven,"  a term which Malcolm Gladwell (in his book the "Tipping Point") used for people who like to gather information and answer questions.   I like to find out how things work.   

 As a patient, I am a dream. I write everything down, keep all my medical records, and am adherent to my medicines and other routines to help me get better.  But if I have a side effect,  I am going to let the doctor know about it.  Pronto.

 Don't get me wrong. I am not a pain.  At least not ALL the time. Just mostly. Now, if you'll excuse me, get outta my way.

National Migraine Awareness Month is initiated by the National Headache Foundation
The Blogger's Challenge is initiated by www.FightingHeadacheDisorders.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment