Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Migraine Awareness Month - Post # 13: "You are Beautiful".

Today's prompt for Migraine Awareness Month is: "You Are Beautiful"
"Write yourself a love letter. Tell yourself how wonderful you are. Remind yourself of the things you have accomplished despite Migraines. There are times when we need to be reminded of the good things about ourselves that others see that we may have missed."
http://aakritimalik.blogspot.com/2012/04/beautiful-im.html
The women who developed these blog prompts are also migraineurs.  They know that when you have a chronic illness, it is much easier to beat yourself up than to build yourself up.  

Before migraines came into my life, I used to think of myself as powerful, smart, extremely lucky, and able to do just about any durned thing I put my mind to.  I was fit, strong, healthy.

Now?  Well, I'm older - over 50 - and besides having an invisible disease, sometimes feel invisible, too. There are times when I feel I have little self-confidence, self-esteem, or self-worth.  I feel like my IQ dropped about 30 points from the migraines and the meds I've taken to combat them. I spent over 10 years in graduate school so I could become a college professor. Can't do that now. 

And Yet: I am kind, compassionate, and (when I feel okay) have a pretty good sense of humor.  I am queen of the double entendre, bad puns, and smarty-pants comments.  I am capable of doing work and activities that give me a sense of purpose.  I am on a golf league, and my golfing friends are very understanding.  I have terrific friends, an unbelievably compassionate husband, and loving, caring sisters and mom. My kids are wonderfully supportive.  I have two adoring granddaughters who don't care if Yaya has a headache or not.  They love me just the same. Everyone has my back.  They prop me up when I don't feel good, and cheer me on when I do.

I guess I still am extremely lucky. 





National Migraine Awareness Month is initiated by the National Headache Foundation. The Blogger's Challenge is initiated by www.FightingHeadacheDisorders.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment